Tuesday, March 31, 2015

The Design of Character Icon


Lots of vulnerable groups don’t get enough attention in modern society, so I design such group of icons to help these people will get more help from others.


The vulnerable groups have their own features. At the beginning, I classify the disabled into several types, such as people without hand or leg. But there is no significant difference between them. So I choose people who use wheelchairs and who are deaf-mute to represent the disabled. Besides, I also choose the old, pregnant woman, the blind and beggar, for they all have significant features, like the blind’s sunglasses and guide dog, the pregnant woman’s belly, the deaf-mute’s sign language and hearing aid, the old’s presbyopic glasses and woolen vest, the disabled’s wheelchair, the beggar’s patch and bowl. I try several graphs when drawing the sketch. But I find all of they seem complicated when I integrate their features into them. Therefore, in the end I use the triangle to make them be a unified series, because it can fully display their features both from the front and side.



In the process of making the character icon, the most important factor is to seize every character’s feature. Now more and more people make task icon about the different jobs. However, I choose to make an icon about the vulnerable groups, for I hope more and more people can know them 
intuitively and give them more attention.


No comments:

Post a Comment